data-csrf="1713530803,be155c20838c37f4c9bbea86bcf58474" A girl and her car: The Story of CRN 631 | As Real As It Gets

A girl and her car: The Story of CRN 631

Brother Bill

Administrator
Nov 17, 2007
Paradise, Alaska
When my wife Katie was 15 years old, her father Randy purchased a 1969 Chevelle SS as a project for them to work on together as her first car. Over the course of a few years they changed engines, made some upgrades, kept up on general maintenance; turning it into an every day driver for her.

1994:

In 1998 while going to college in Montana, she made the difficult decision to sell her beloved Chevelle and get something a bit more practical for a college age student. Since 2006 when she and I got married, I’ve heard her mention multiple times that she would either like to have another classic car, or that she regretted ever selling her.

Fast forward to 2016, an idea popped into my mind. Wouldn’t it be cool to find her car. I spent some time off and on doing internet research try to see if there was any way possible to track that car down. I came up with nothing.

Then one fateful fall, while Randy and his wife Peggy were travelling through a small town called Malta, Montana; Peggy mentioned to Randy that she thought that the person that had purchased Katies Chevelle lived in that town. On a whim, Randy stopped at a body shop and started a conversation with the kid at the counter about “the car”. Low and behold, a car matching that description was sitting in the driveway at his fathers house; just a few short miles down the road.

When Randy and Peggy arrived at he house, it was immediately clear the car that Randy was looking at; windows down, quarter panels removed, bumpers missing, rear glass gone, raccoon infested and all was Katies old car. There it sat after 19 years.

November 2017:

A deal was struck, and “Project CRN 631” was re-bourn.

Over the course of a year, the car made its way from Malta, Montana to Waverly, Iowa where body work and paint was done. Randy made multiple trips down to work with Katie’s Uncle and two cousins to start putting pieces back on. Crate 396, T400 tranny, upgraded breaks, suspension, etc.

Early November the car made its way back to Soldotna, Alaska after being gone for nearly 22 years. Inside an enclosed trailer, Randy and Katie’s Uncle Bob, towed her back to the hangar for the final touches before being revealed for Katies 40th birthday gift.

Just about two months later, after hundreds of hours doing interior work, bumper and grill work, the car was ready.
Last night, January 12th 2019 my wife got to sit behind the wheel of CRN 631 (same license number she had originally) once again. It was a pretty special night and one incredible build. At some point, I’ll spend the hours putting together the whole story, but for now…I’m just glad it is fucking done.

January 12, 2019:

Driftin'

Nov 16, 2009
Offshore
Awesome gift and story!

Circa 1970 or so, had the pleasure of "helping" my neighbor's son that was about 15 years older than me swap the 396 out of his new 69 SS with cowl induction and put in a 427 hemi. I was about 10 at the time. It was a school night and the folks made me go to bed as my neighbor was getting close to bringing it back to life. Had a hard time sleeping in anticipation and heard that hemi bark once as he turned it over. Jumped outta the sack and pulled back the curtains in time to see flames erupt from the headers, illuminate his garage and rattle the windows on the surrounding houses. Raced it a few times and then put it up on blocks.

A Few decades ago, he put the OEM 396 back in and he still only has a few thousand miles on the odometer.

Similarly anticipating The Rest of the Story!

fogswamp

Nov 19, 2007
Good job everyone! That is a super cool story, Something incredible to document, still looking for my cuda, vin# bs23h1b145447

Brother Bill

Administrator
Nov 17, 2007
Paradise, Alaska
Found some cool things in the glove box:

The notebook she kept her maintenance notes in...

Her original set of keys...

Also found the registration, in her dads name, under the front seat.

LOBO

Dec 9, 2007
Mississippi
Y'all did a superb job on that car! I don't blame you on the headliner & seats. They can definitely be a pain.

dznnf7

Apr 30, 2016
Great job all around. I see you have the period-correct 70's Camaro steering wheel, just like we all did in our GM muscle cars!

Lineman

Dec 31, 2010
VA
Very nice Chevelle!

My cousin has a ‘68 SS in his garage that I’ve been trying to talk him out of for years. His brother had restored it and was killed on Christmas Day in ‘83, its sat since.

But as awesome as that ‘69 is, the story is even better. Crazy to find her original car like that!